Friday 2 January 2015

A Miscellaneous New Year's Present

Happy New Year, cookery friends!

Often, when researching colonial era recipes or ingredients I come across things that aren't from Australia or the colonial era, but are jolly interesting nonetheless. This is one such thing, that I thought I'd share with you at New Year's.

How to Use Corn Meal, Oat Meal, Barley, Buckwheat, Potatoes, Rice, Etc., and Save Wheat Flour: Best War Time Recipes


When looking up Buckwheat recipes on Trove (the NLA database), I came across this little pamphlet from America during World War I. It suggests alternatives to traditional wheat bread, all of which can be made with baking powder. It was altruistically produced by the Royal Baking Co., who clearly believed in making the best of a bad situation.

A charming feature of this digitalised copy is the letter to the original recipient, scanned on the first page.

I hope you enjoy this little off-topic digression as much as I did.

Let me know if you try any of the recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment